Sage-Code is an independent research community for Computer Science and Information Technology. We study software engineering and high performance computing. We create tutorials, compilers, new languages, components and frameworks. Join us as to practice computer programming and develop new skills.
We are inviting students and fresh graduates who are looking for a programming career to gain work experience. Our members usually do not have jobs and may be freelancers, or preparing for changing their career. If you use our content for your job or business, then you can bust our research by making donations to your favorite projects.
Sage-Code will try to provide higher quality articles for learning. However our content is oppinionated and disruptive. We may say that one language or methodology is better than another and this is an oppinion not a fact. We will teach you our way of thinking that may be different from industry standard and school.
For example we belive that using C, PHP, Java or PL/SQL in a modern application is wrong. However a company can define its own criterias of quality and it may chose these languages for developing software. If you work for such a company please do not try to influence them on our account. Criticism is rarely apreciated. Keep these things for yourself and do your job the best you can.
We host research projects to improve our design and programming skills. Our projects are open source. Each project can have a different project owner. So far we have started documentation projects to sustain our free training program. In the future our members will start new projects that may be for training or business startup. All projects on Sage-Code must follow next rules:
- Written: All communication must be written; any relevant communication done on verbal or on chat rooms should be transcribed or summarized in writing. We preffer GitHub projects for tracking.
- Complete: Communication should be comprehensive and complete. Assumptions are made explicit and key conclusions are summarized using GitHub wiki-pages and project related discutions or tickets.
- Archived: All communication will be archived, with the project code and documentation. We will set-up automatic backup for each project on a private server so we can restore communication in case of desaster or hack.
Every project may require different tools but some are common. Once you have decided what project to join you can contact the project owner on Reddit to receive instructions for a specific tool. Sooner or later you will need to register for some accounts on different websites to have access to required tools before you can work on a project. We recommand you to register accounts on these websites:
|Provider||We use it for|
|Store your profile for finding jobs|
|GitHub||Hosting projects and wiki books|
|Making google docs and classrooms|
|Microsoft||Team work using Teams and Notes|
|Feedback and general chat|
|Discord||Project owner dedicated chat rooms|
|Personal profile and twitts|
|YouTube||Video channel for training|
Our training is organized in two classes: Software Engineering and Computer Programming. If you are looking for a profession, we advice you start with Software Engineering. If you are looking for a Freelancer opportunity you can skip to Programming. Later, take also Engineering class to understend better how to make applications.
After you register on Reddit feel free to ask any question, post feedback or make suggestions to improve our content. For each post or comment you will receive reputation points. Reputation is a valuable asset of your Sage-Code profile. Also we appreciate your vote on our posts. If you like a post you can vote up or down to give or take reputation points to other members. It is more likely to get help and invitations to projects if your reputation grows higher.
A second way to improve your reputation is available on GitHub. On this platform you gain reputation by working on projects. In fact you may already have a reputation if you have register a GitHub account. This reputation is very important for companies who are looking for developers to hire. You will for sure receive Job interview invitations into your e-mail account if you have activity on Sage-Code and Linkedin profile.
Our community has a presence on popular social media websites: We use GitHub to host our projects but also Linked-in and Twitter for contact, news and communication. Once you are on Twitter, you can read news, participate to our surveys, like or comment. If you are on Linkedin, we will appreciate if you connect your profile to us. Then we can provide endorsement for your activity on Sage-Code.
We do not record your credential or information on our servers. You will use your own accounts that you may already have on social websites. Our organization is distributed. That means we use many websites. So, your data is protected by different companies and organizations not by us. We advice you to have at least two e-mail addresses on different public websites and one that is provided usually by your internet provider. Use this address as backup for the other two. Never reveal your personal address to anyone so that you can recover your other accounts in case of a hack. Also, use two factor authentification if you have a phone.
Our members have virtual role. This role is necesary to establish trust and protect our community against trols. After we get to know you we will assign you a role depending on your qualification level and your contribution. We plan to have 4 roles.
- Guest: this role is for visitors. If you do not log-in you will use this role even if you are a registered member. With this role you can visualize our public content. You can browse some of our articles and even clone some of our projects for study.
- Freelancer: In this role you can interact with other members. We will assign this role after you finish your preliminary training on-line. We will invite you to an interview to receive this role.
- Researcher: in this role, you can start your own project using Sage-Code community. You can invite other members from our community to join you and help you out to develop it. Your project must be open source though.
- Instructors: are members that prove reliable. On this role you can create training videos, publish articles and research papers under our umbrela. Our instructors usually have a public profile on Linked-in website.
Sage-Code is not incorporated. We do not yet have the capital required, but we will incorporate as soon as possible. That means work without pay and this sounds bad. So if you join us and start contributing you get nothing in return but just work experience. We aknowledge this is not apealing therefore we grant you “sweat equity”. This is a type of investment that measures time and effort put into a project. We will calculate swet equity by measuring your GitHub contribution for each project. Therefore make sure you do not loose your GitHub account.
Visit us on: Reddit, register and join our community to receive notifications. Also we like to hear feedback from you. Maybe you can give us ideas for new projects, ask questions or report mistakes. We will appreciate your future contribution.